Thursday, September 3, 2009

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it

Finally finished the first draft of my presentation "Greening to Standards: How to save energy and money with your BAS" [per various standards and guidelines] for the upcoming BACnet International/Facility Decisions conference three weeks hence. ALL the technical information of interest is there, divided between the slides and the Notes Pages -- the details that folks will likely want but which are too much for the talk itself are relegated to the latter.


The compilation of strategies and techniques, poring through standard after standard and guideline after guideline, was a surprisingly interesting exercise. I've seen a lot of ad-hoc discussions of "what you can do..." and made lists of them, but until now I wasn't aware that so many of them are already in published literature, if you only knew where to look. And even where they are effectively repeated, there are interesting differences in the details.


But because today was the deadline for submitting the post-conference distribution powerpoints I shipped what I have off to B.I. this afternoon just before heading home for the holiday weekend. I will still be revising the powerpoint itself over the next 2-1/2 weeks, working out the animation, other non-technical aspects and window-dressing, but the important technical content is in the can.


I do have a significant issue to deal with: at my usual speaking rate of about one slide per minute it's overlong, though I expect to be going through this powerpoint's slides faster than usual. But it gets worse: I have to trim this 50-minute talk to 25 minutes for a conference in China in October.


Right now I am not sure how I'm going to do that but to echo somebody's misquote, I just guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment