Thursday, September 17, 2009

BACnet in China

A few days ago I received an e-mail from an old colleague and friend, Mr. Dr. Xu Zhengyuan, who has just received his PhD from Hongkong Polytechnic University, his area of study being intelligent building integration.


I met him during my visit to Beijing in 2000, to speak about BACnet before the Ministry of Construction's "Committee of Intelligent Building Experts." Talk about stress -- arrive late evening in Beijing thoroughly jetlagged, meet with my translator until 1 AM or so, then on deck at 10 AM to speak before a hall filled with suits.



Later I attended an associated exposition where the Chinese translation of BACnet was unveiled, as seen in this photo (with my host, Mr. Eric Z.G. Liu). This is where I met Mr. Xu, and learned about the BACnet software development he had been doing. We've remained in contact over the years via the occasional e-mail.


Now, PhD in hand, he is interested in doing more with BACnet in China. The first thing that came to mind is the upcoming BACnet Forum Beijing, October 20th, which I passed on to him. (Sadly, a conflict will keep me from attending.)


But the prospects for the forum look good. It is being hosted by the "Intelligent Building Development Centre of Science and Technology Committee" of the former "Ministry of Construction" (now "Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development of the P.R.C"), and has the direct support of a number of BACnet manufacturers.


Wishing you success with BACnet, Dr. Xu!

No comments:

Post a Comment